Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Kuwata roughed up, Torres angry

It was a tough night for Kuwata and the Pirates - AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar

My meeting wrapped up around 9:00 last night. I immediately checked my phone and saw the Pirates and Brewers were tied 3-3. Not bad at all. After a quick run to the store, I got into my car and turned on the game. The first thing I heard was J.J. Hardy singling in a run give the Brewers a 5-3 lead. Things very quickly got much worse. I was turning onto my street as Damien Miller launched his second home run of the game, this one a grand slam. By the time I reached a television, John Wasdin was warming up with the Brewers leading 10-3. Not long after that, we had a slightly larger number in the loss column.

We all know what happens when Sully gets pissed
On the way to work this morning, I heard a story that caught me completely by surprise. Salomon Torres filed a grievance against the Pirates and asked to be traded. Apparently, Torres signed for less money before the 2006 season because he was led to believe the Pirates would rent one of his baseball academies in the Dominican Republic. Torres also feels he is being punished for filing the grievance by being assigned an unnecessarily long rehab stint. Here is a PG article from my 22nd birthday (04/02/2006) that verifies that Torres was seeking the agreement with the Pirates when he signed his contract. Here is another from 12/03/2006 mentioning that the Pirates turned Torres down. I am not sure exactly what was discussed with Torres, but I would not hesitate to guess that Pirate management tried to screw Torres. Now Sully is pissed, and we may have to part ways with one of our few reliable relievers because of it. It looks like we have taken another step forward in our revival of scouting in Latin America.
The Pirates will play an early game today because a concert was scheduled for PNC Park later tonight. Shane Youman will make his first start of the season against Chris Capuano. Capuano is making his first start since June 8 due to a strained groin. Personally, I am hoping for an eight-hour game, so that everyone's concert plans are ruined. Sorry. The first pitch is scheduled for 4:05 PM.

No comments: