Thursday, August 02, 2007

Pirates cruise, end losing streak

It was all smiles for Tony Armas and the Pirates on Wednesday night - AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar

As we approached the trade deadline, I felt we needed hitting. Dave Littlefield apparently felt we needed a #5 starting pitcher. Were we both wrong?

Well, probably not. But the Pirates needed very little tonight, as they pounded the Cardinals by a score of 15-1. It was not just the score that made this game so ironic. It was the way in which it was won. It was as if someone took all the problems of 2007 and flipped them upside down. Tony Armas Jr. was brilliant, continuing a recent trend. After allowing one run in 6.1 innings, Armas has now allowed only one run in 12 July innings. Maybe he is finally figuring things out.

The offense exploded for 15 runs on 20 hits. Keeping the irony alive, Ronny Paulino led the offense with a first inning grand slam. The rest of the lineup also produced a tremendous amount of support for Armas.

I am falling asleep as I type this, so I think it is time for bed. I will be at the game tomorrow afternoon, and it is possible that I will provide some updates from PNC Park. I am not promising anything, but I may post a few thoughts for those stuck at work during the game.

No comments: